William Butler Yeats

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Poem #1: Surfaces

Surfaces,


the covalent playground
bears atomic friendships,
but through heated tension
amicable relationships become
decayed.

a school of sheltered children,
clicks of protons and electrons,
are confused when they learn
that they share fundamental
units.

familiar and ambiguous
shapes: I cannot understand
Gaussian surfaces, yet visible
ones prove to be even more
intangible.

membranes within me,
my thoughts ride waves
of sulci and gyri; yet
I cannot reduce love to a
material.

immutable, are echoes
of laughter from Heisenberg
and Einstein which resonate
as we attempt to attain the
unattainable.

having energy which can
not be created or destroyed;
in death, my body will lose
shape and give birth to new
surfaces.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really liked the way that you played with lowercase and italics. As a non-science person, I still trust you as a narrator because of the specific language. I always really liked the ending, about the conservation of energy and the way death leads to new surfaces. That was cool.