William Butler Yeats

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Poem #2: Pi

I was
born, the combination
of thousands of genetic
variables; biological pi,
my destiny was limitless.


I became
a linear growth of
memories and actions,
serving not as variables
but as formulaic constraints.

I became
a straight line
plotted on a coordinate
system by society;
time independently
increased as the value
of my worth was judged
by standardized tests
and scholarly processing.

I always
wanted to see the Great
Barrier Reef, but it seemed
extraneous. My friend went
and showed me his pictures.
I never imagined such beauty
could vanish, it was beyond
my calculations. I would see it
another day.

I never
saw that beautiful reef:
two years ago, changing
ocean temperatures killed
the last polyp as it clung
to the rigid structure
it had spent a lifetime
to build. Final minus
initial now equals zero.

I am
on my deathbed, wondering
if I would have seen the reef,
were it still around yet
another day.




No comments: